15 March 2008

Coffee and Yarn Talk

Hi all: came across this on Sarah's blog yesterday - have no idea if it relates to some contest or not... but I thought it was cool. So, lucky you - you get two posts from me today!

Beware the Ides of March... and beware procrastinators with finish-itis concerning lovely lace stole patterns! Sigh.


(Sarah, by the way, is obviously a very kind person.  She had some very flattering things to say about me on her blog:

...Kristina is zany and irreverant, and knits like a fiend! She posts every day and you just never know what she's going to present you with next. Plus she's just a darn great gal - last year she heard my cry for help when I lost one of my favourite sock needles on the transit bus and within days I had a extra set of the same needles waiting for me in my mailbox from her.


Or, is it just snow madness from living in Winnipeg? Hmm... )


Coffee


1. Whole beans or ground?
I would say whole, but I'm too lazy for that. I had a grinder once and destroyed it by trying to grind whole nutmeg in it. (Why? Why do we do anything, really?). I then tried what I thought to be a very creative method of grinding the whole beans I had left. It involved a huge IKEA cutting board, a heavy-bottomed saucepan and lots of noise.

After the policemen that my neighbour called in left, I got out my Nescafe instant coffee and my shaker and made a frappe.

Who needs hot coffee, anyway?!

(Oh, in case you wonder what the word in Greek is above: it's "saykerrr". This is Gringlish for "shaker". Most Greeks cannot pronounce "sh" as it is not a sound used in most Greek dialects. They cannot pronounce "ch" either. This leads to some funny sentences if you ask someone who talks like my father where the shaker style church with the cherry trees in front is.

Now I want a frappe. However, that would entail ice, wouldn't it? Hmm. Must organize myself better.)

2. What kind of coffees do you enjoy? A rich, bold roast; a light, fresh one, or something in between? Leaded or non?

I've never quite understood the point of decaf, myself. I don't really care what kind of coffee it is as long as it's black and has caffeine.

3. If you were headed out right now to buy some coffee for the house, what would you be picking up?

Espresso from Italy:

or
This is Greek coffee, which Wikipedia insists on calling Turkish coffee for some reason. I should write a strong letter. Sheesh.

For those unfamiliar with it, think of espresso mixed with mud.

Why bother? Well, it's very easy to make. You use this boiling tin called a briki:

...put in coffee and a LOT of sugar (my sugar/coffee ratio is 1:1)!...

...then boil the hell out of it bring it to a boil until it foams up.

(The person who took this photo must be some kind of photography wizard - managing to capture the foam in that .25 second envelope before it boils all over this stove. And JJ wonders why the smoke alarm goes off any time I try to fry an egg! He has probably never seen me make this - it is a highly secret ritual - they're probably going to take away my membership card now that I've shown you what to do. Sigh.)

JJ doesnae drink coffee anyways, only this:

Er. Wrong photo...

This is the tea equivalent to greek coffee. Strong as all hell. Guid stuff!

4. Do you drink for caffeine, pleasure, or both?

It's the drug, man. I need it.

5. Do you enjoy flavored coffees? How about add-ins or flavored creamers?

I like the odd flavoured coffee - preferably vanilla. Fresh and Wild down the street from my office sometimes have one called "Fireside" which smells like it is half Cointreau, half coffee. I love it, but am afraid to take it to work lest I get fired for drinking.

I hate add-ins. Why would I muck up a guid cuppa coffee with petroleum product?! Plus, I detest milk. Too healthy.

6. A large, lovely mug or a small, dainty cup?


7. Describe your perfect cup - not JUST the coffee, but how you'd enjoy it!

Half cold, sitting by my desk at work. It's an essential. I can't work without it. The half hour I have to spend waiting for it to get to the right cool temperature is sheer hell. I usually have to go out for about three cigarettes.

8. You're sitting down to enjoy a nice cup in the local coffee shop, knitting bag in hand, iPod all tuned up - or maybe you're there with a few friends for knit night! What treat do you pick up to enjoy with your coffee? A sweet, rich brownie, or something more healthy?

Healthy?!? Was ist "healthy"????

How about a salty treat? What goes best with that great cup and company?

I'm partial to cheddar tea biscuits or scones myself.
I skip the apple, though, and whatever the other blobs are at the right side. Too healthy.

(Oh, by the way, Emeril has a fabulous recipe forham and cheese lard biscuits - one of the very few things I have been bothered to bake in recent years. I had to stop making them, though, as my @$$ was starting to resemble the ... well, never mind.)


Yarn


1. Do you knit or crochet?

I think we all know the answer to that, don't we?!

2. What are your favorite types of yarns to work with?

Silk silk silk silk handmaiden silk ooh aah swoon silk silk.

Er, silk. Sorry, got carried away there!

3. What do you have on the needles right now?

The SOTSii Mystery KAL Stole, the Icarus lace stole from IK Autumn 2006, and the Bespoke Jacket from No Sheep for You.

4. What are your favorite colors in yarns?

My favourite colour changes on a hourly minutely - is that a word?! - basis. Right now it's fuschia purple lime green.
What about those that you'd never find in your stash?

That's easy. Beige.

Hold on a minute! What about all this???



Um... all right then. White!

Er... foiled again. Evil Kristina has a LOT to answer for.

Umm... I don't know, then.

5. What sort of needles or hooks do you enjoy using?

Addi Turbo or Addi Lace circulars.

Any you just detest?

Those weird hollow metal coloured ones from Lion Brand. The noise they make is like fingernails across the chalkboard to me.

6. Are there any particular notions you absolutely do NOT need? Some of us swap a lot - are you sure that you have enough tape measures, for example, to last your lifetime?

I don't understand the question!!

What I want, though, is a ball winder and swift. With the 10 kilometres of laceweight yarn in the house, they would come in handy.

7. You walk into the yarn shop and have exactly and only enough money to purchase 2 skeins of yarn in their 2 for 20 special they have going..The choices are a soft, thick cotton/viscose blend in your favorite colors, slightly variegated..a beautiful sock yarn that's just squishy and sproingy in your hands.. a soft, worsted weight wool like malabrigo.. and a lovely bamboo blend with colors to just die for. Which do you walk out the door with?

I go back out the door, stab the first passer-by I see with my lace needles and take their wallet, and go and buy it ALL. Hmm. I'd probably go with the bamboo. I could take or leave the cotton/viscose - not fussy on viscose, particularly.


Spring

1. We're starting sign-ups on the first day of Spring -

A-ha! The origin of the questionnaire is revealed. All is clear. Is there some knit-a-long that I don't know about?!? How did this happen?!?!?

Is it already truly Spring-like where you are?

Hah!!!



Sob.

2. What's your favorite spring flower? Do you have one? 

At this point, anything living would do  Daffodils. 

3. What do you most look forward to about springtime? 

The fact that it means winter is OVER.  And, sitting on patios. 

4. They've predicted a gorgeous day tomorrow - Sunny and about 65 with a nice breeze - how do you spend your day? 

On the balcony (at home) or in the smoking area (at work) or on a patio with a pint of Keiths or three.  

5. The day after, it's going to be cooler and pouring down rain - does that impact your mood? How do you spend that day? what helps cheer you up? 

Knitting!  

Odds n Ends

1. Do you collect anything BESIDES yarn and needles? 

Stained glass and old plates and tiles to make mosaics with.  

2. Are you allergic to anything? 

Penicillin, and cheese Ritz crackers for some weird reason. 

3. Do you have pets? 

Nope.  That would involve work. 

4. Is this your first swap, or are you an old pro? What are the last 2 swaps you participated in?

Oh - now ALL is truly revealed.  Not missing a KAL.  Phew.  Have not done official swaps at all, although have swapped with people I've met on Raverly and Knittyboard.

5. List 3 of your favorite blogs - craft related or not - and tell us why you love them.

This is a hard one - there's a lot of great ones out there!  Right now, I'd say these three:

(a) Three blogs I love are as follows in no particular order:

Rick Mercer



Rick completely cracks me up. He is my favourite comedian and I like his thoughts on politics as well. Plus, he has funny photos!  There is also an older version of the blog here.

2. Clarabelle

Clarabelle's writing, I find witty - although I should hate her because she is a Lace Queen supreme. If you visit her blog and look at her stuff and do not take up lace knitting immediately after that, there's something wrong with you.

3. Fizzy Fibres

Susie is a champion freeform knitter and crafter from the Land of Oz. I love her blog because I never thought that one could write freeform until I saw it - check it out and you'll see what I mean. I laugh out loud when I read it - every time she posts.

Plus, as you can see, she has a fabulous fashion sense.