24 October 2007

Carmen lives!

I don't know whether to kiss or curse Holly for introducing me to Craft magazine. Now I will never get any work done!!

I fell in love with the mag after seeing this:

Homage to Carmen Miranda!

How can I not love a magazine where a burlesque entertainer (Angie Pontani) shows you how to make fancy headdresses! I don't any more have the body to wear thecute short sparkly outfit, but the headgear will go so well with this dress:

(The photo does not do it justice. I really need to buy a scanner. However, it is very sparkly, covered in sequins... I scored it for $20 at Thrift Villa in Parkdale to wear to my "I finally managed to become a lawyer" party. (Wanted to wear it to my actual call to the Bar, but figured they wouldn't call me then and I would have blown $35,000 for nothing. I refuse to show you the photos of me wearing the robes and tabs and looking very, very goofy. I have not had occasion to have to wear robes since, thankfully).

So - now I'm off to the Dollarama ASAP to find cheap fake fruit and maybe even a glue gun! I plan to make several for the first performance of the Club 425 Dance troupe (we have lessons at my workplace at lunchtime led by the fabulous Madame Jennie, who will not let me show a picture of her). The performance is at yet unscheduled, mostly because yours truly is a great dancer who can't follow set steps, unlike her equally talented co-workers in the troupe.

One of the dance tunes featured, I'm hoping, will come from one of these CDs which I finally scored yesterday after hunting high and low:



I should mention that my musical tastes after date back 50 or so years. I suspect that in a past life I was meant to be part of the Rat Pack, but was instead stuck inside the house in some Greek village with permission to leave once a year for church with my head covered in a kerchief.

But really, how can you not love a guy who actually recorded "Hair Goes Latin"???? (and if anyone finds this, I'll knit you a Tuscany in exchange.

I have to go now to upload 3 CDs worth of Edmundo Ros onto my iPod. It is a happy day indeed in the JK household (and JJ will surely be happy to stop listening to the caterwauling Greek selections I've been into for the last while!).

I will, however, leave you with a parting cheesecake shot of me doing the Wedding Samba decked out in my Tuscany and Montego Bay scarf (warning: if you don't like burlesque or nude back with love handles, skip this one...). This is my response to a dare/bet - the person who dared/bet me (who, by request, shall remain nameless) now owes me a skein of sea silk. Heh heh heh.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*


Just holding my head because I don't have the towering fruit headpiece yet.