18 September 2007

the Greeks invented everything!!!

If you're from the U.S. or even Canada, you most likely have heard the U.S postal slogan about prompt delivery of mail in about a million TV ads:

"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

I had occasion to look this up in the aftermath of a yarn swap which went awry recently - the recipient (in the US) ended up with less than 20% of the package I had sent, without any sign that the package had been through customs. The thief apparently knew their yarn, as most of what went missing was prime Fleece Artist Kid Aran. But I digress. I was very surprised to learn who originally authored the above phrase:

Herodotus, Inscription, New York City Post Office, adapted from Herodotus
Greek historian & traveler (484 BC - 430 BC)

See more information and the ancient greek original of the phrase here.

Those ancient Greeks controlled everything, didn't they?

I'd better stop now. I'm starting to sound like the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which is actually quite frightening!