03 March 2008

a slave to the Handmaiden

Well, it was another eventful day at the ranch yesterday. Didn't leave the house all day!

Instead, this is what I got up to:

Some of my progress on the Icarus shawl from Interweave Knits Summer 2006 issue.

I'm making this in Handmaiden lace silk, which is probably the finest yarn I've worked with. This makes things a bit challenging, but so far the pattern seems fairly straightforward thus far.

Gotta love the Woodland colourway too!

However, I soon got a bit tired of the very repetitive pattern. Plus, I was sitting here biting my yarn off in jealousy at Wannietta's brown Silken score at In the Loop the other day (yes, yes, I know that I bought two skeins of purple! But the brown is really great).

So, I went hunting through the stash for my own brown Handmaiden: Camelspun! 70 per cent silk, 30 per cent camel and perhaps the softest yarn you have ever fondled. Move over Malabrigo!

With this, I started to knit one of the lace triangles from Evelyn Clark's book: the Sunshine and Shadows shawl:

I think am counting on hope this will be a fairly quick knit. So far, so good...

I'm actually amazed that I could knit, given all the damage to my arm. You see, I was also chewing my arm of in jealousy at all of the wonderful mosaics I found in my new mag, Mosaic Art Now. Here are three examples:

Why can't I do this?! It's not fair. Sob.

I guess I'd better stop whining and do a couple more rows on the Icarus before I get to work.
Happy Monday!