13 October 2007

finally a project that will never be on my "to-do" list...

(although I did say this about the Tuscany, and lace in general: so I am probably hexing myself with the word "never").

WARNING: Viewer discretion is strongly advised if you are squeamish.

Strange But Trewe Project

He even provides a partial pattern! Highly imaginative, I'll give him that.

I wonder what would come up if I entered "weird knitting" in QuickLaw on the Rental Housing Tribunal database? I should try it next week. Probably something along these lines:

- landlord trying to evict tenant for serious impairment of safety when Addi lace turbo needles are discovered by landlord while "inspecting" (ahem) the rental unit. Landlord described knitting needles on the Notice of Termination as "garottes and sharps)
- landlord trying to evict tenant for substantial interference when a moth invasion of the yarn stash in the storage room allegedly causes a mass infestation of moths in the building

I just realised that I have jinxed myself. I'm doing a front-line shift at the Landlord and Tenant Board for the first time in a long time on Monday. Undoubtedly now some tenant is going to come in with a knitting-relation eviction case. SIGH.

But back to real knitting stuff: in other news, I picked up the IK Holiday edition yesterday. If you haven't seen it and are interested in needle felting, it has a good "how-to" article. (and a lovely project pattern, but I've gone off felting for the time being myself). Sadly, I was rather non-plussed about the rest of the projects (aside from a teddy bear reminiscent of Mr. Bean's teddybear - here is a free pattern I came across for that one). Perhaps this is because they are intended for knitting for persons other than myself? :-)

I do tend to have a love/hate relationship with IK, particularly the crochet one. I tend to love many of the patterns and their instructional pieces. I tend to hate the fact that they advertise so many cool products that I either can't get ahold of locally or don't need, or both. This month's contender is their featured yarn, Tilli Tomas Disco Lights. Soft yarn with sequins and sparklies at top dollar! I'm just thankful I cut up my credit card (actually, speaking more accurately, it was cut up for me while attempting to rent a $4 video with it. How humiliating!) years ago, really.

But back to the (rather lame) mag review. I'm also perhaps a bit biased against some of the content of the IK Holiday edition. Those of you who have read my blog for a while will know my personal thoughts on sock knitting. Here is what happened the first (and last) time I endeavoured to knit socks! I think perhaps on a personal level I've internalised JJ's position on knitting socks which I imagine is familiar to some of you.

Oh no, another digression!! Back to the regularly scheduled programme: if you are a sock knitting, IK Holiday has lots of pleasing sock patterns and also a rather cute Christmas stocking which I would definetely knit if I were ever going to knit a pair of socks again. Which I will never do. Never. Ever. Again.

So - all in all I personally found the IK Holiday mag a bit disappointing - but I imagine other people will like it.

On the upside, JJ really enjoyed their article on Stewarton, Scotland (the "Bonnet Toun"). So, maybe I can talk him into funding a subscription! ;-)

Cheers,

Kristina

PS. I have decided that I am going to try to blog every day, whether I have anything to say/show or not. Blame Holly for her inspiring blog prolificity (is this a word? If not, it should be!) and great humour in her daily posts. Unlike mine, which are just ongoing stream of consciousness blather. SIGH.