09 September 2007

lace galore!

Not one, but two new lace scarves!!!

1. Victorian Lace Today - p.80 Scarf with Striped Border







Specs:


Pattern: Victorian Lace Today, p. 80
Dimensions: 6" W by 62" L
Yarn: Handmaiden Sea Silk - about 3/4 of one skein
Needles: 4.5 mm Addi Turbo
Start Date: Wednesday 5 September
Finish Date: Saturday 8 September
Intended recipient: my mother

Notes: I really enjoyed working on this pattern. I did however make a mistake when putting on the second border, and by the time I noticed it had woven in the ends... but it still looks nice to me! I would never have thought I'd get into lace knitting - but it is very satisfying.

I went with the pattern as written except that it is a bit less wide and quite a bit shorter (to modify the width, I went with the instructions in the pattern to reduce by 12 sts).

2. Three in One Aztec Sash






Specs:


Pattern: Lacy Little Knits
Yarn: J&P Coats Mercer-Crochet Blue Label, approx 200 yards (vintage crochet cotton)
Dimensions: 3 1/2" W by 40" long, approx.
Start Date: Saturday 8 September
Finish Date: Sunday 9 September
Intended Recipient: my mother

Notes:

Now I can do elongated stitches!!! I had only one 100 yd skein of each colour used here, hence the two colours in the pattern. The yarn was rescued from my grandmother's house some time back - I initially intended to use it for needlepoint.

This pattern was quick and quite easy to knit, although I got a tad bored with it by the end.

The book shows it being used as a headband, although I can't really model it like that as my hair is not long enough. I'm hoping my mother will use it that way, but I think it will also make a cute scarf.

I think I am becoming addicted to lace. I have 5 balls of the Coats crochet cotton in red as well, so who knows what might come next... ?