04 December 2006

winter is icumen in...

...llude sing goddam!

Apologies to the middle english person who wrote the original poem. Actually, pursuant to the suggestion of a friend a long time ago, I am trying to find the key to not detesting winter - i.e. associate it with positive activities. Hers were skiing and other outdoorsy stuff. Mine... well, the obvious.

And now I have discovered the joy of knitting hats and scarves (which is surprising to me, given that I have been knitting for over 20 years!). This has led me to become obsessive with buying yarn over the last couple of weeks.

It has also led me to start work on the following items: a fuzzy hat. Not as warm as I thought... when I wore it to the wind tunnel that is known as Yonge/Sheppard intersection in Toronto today, the wind whistled right through. So, have started on a headband (in mission falls merino, light pink) to put inside.

I have also started on the following:

- another hat (in Debbie Bliss Merino Aran)
- a fuzzy and funky scarf (courtesy of Fleece Artist/Handmaiden's Textures2 scarf kit)
- a pillbox felted hat (in the washer as we speak)

May post pics of these in progress later. Really can't right now as my lover is home and I do not wish to confide the extent of my obsession to him (although I suspect he's figured it out. The two and a half blankets in two weeks might have been the first clue. I must say, though, that he is not complaining about his cardigan!).

As if THIS weren't enough, I stopped at the LYS on my way home from work today, ostensibly to look for some 20 cent buttons (that's what I told myself). Instead I spotted some kid "Curly Locks" yarn by Fleece Artist in hot pink and just had to have it... for yet another scarf, I suspect. However, it WAS on sale ... (at least that's what I keep telling myself...)

Off to knit now.